[arch-dev-public] Testing policy

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 08:47:47 EDT 2007

On 10/7/07, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> 1) I'm fine with a testing pipeline like Debian and Gentoo have. It
> should be easy to move a pkg from testing to core via a small script or
> even a webfrontend (afaik this has been discussed in the repoman list).

Yeah this can be scripted... a re-tag in cvs, then moving the pkgfile
from testing to core should be easy.

Anyone want to throw a script together for that?

> 2) We should have that for extra too.

Sure, but all in due time. Right now core is critical. Packages in
extra aren't AS critical.

I want to enforce this NOW for core. Then get some stuff on the
dashboard for this... so we actually have tools to work with before
enforcing it with a larger package set like that.

> 3) What about clear minor fixes? Any exceptions allowed to do allone
> when noone is around for while?

Well, if we do the exception route, who's to say what is minor and
what is not. Who decides? The broken packages in the past were
probably broken due to thinking "it's just a small change".

I guess technically, if you're sure it's minor, you can have someone
else test without pushing directly to testing, but I'd prefer not to
do something like this. I mean, there's not much harm if a package is
a day after the release, is there? People using testing are still on
the bleeding edge.

> 4) Do now all developers have core access?

I'm pretty sure this was done a while ago. Almost everyone has cvs-arch access.

> 5) We would need something new for what we now use the testing repo -
> the rebuilds/updates we expect issues. We should not mix this with the
> the has-to-be-signed-off repo or we will get weird linked packages.

You're probably right, BUT, we can deal with that in the interim by
properly communicating and coordinating until we can get a real
solution in place.