[arch-dev-public] hidden dependencies

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Sun Oct 7 08:23:34 EDT 2007

Am Sun, 7 Oct 2007 07:05:43 -0500
schrieb "Aaron Griffin" <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:

> If I had some lib, say liblol, that was a dep of bash, and my bash
> script here depends on bash - this packages doesn't need a rebuild due
> to liblol.
>
> I think these situations are rare, and it would be much better to
> maintain a manual list in these cases.

Sadly not that rarely. There are almost half of the db and heimdal
update affected packages with hidden deps. Formerly we had those
"ToDo" list but they got broken due to the repo shuffle. They are also
unusable for 2 architectures.

Maybe checkpkg should automatically run such a dep check when it
detects a .so change. We should also force all devs to use
checkpkg/namcap/{repo}pkg to minimize the risk of broken updates.

bug filed: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8243

Andy