[arch-dev-public] Where [erxtra] ends and [community] begins

Sun Oct 14 21:04:26 EDT 2007

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, Damir Perisa wrote:

> Sunday 14 October 2007, Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> | Yes, but developers also can (and some of them do) maintain
> | packages in community.
>
> yes, but as TU's not as devs. their function there is different.
>
> i do not want to addopt any pkgs in community. i wanted to help out
> building for 64bit there just because i had some cpu cycles to spare
> a afternoon.
>
> if a dev goes to community to maintain some packages, it is 1) taking
> manpower that should come from TUs 2) stepping into the work of TUs
> and spending more time off the devs playground. of course it is not
> really bad, but don't you have enough official pkgs to maintain?
>
> - D

If a dev wants to maintain a package (regardless of its type), we
shouldn't force him to maintain it in community repo.  Whether a dev
maintains it in community or extra doesn't reduce his workload. Plus the
extra repo has some advantages like the filelist link on the package
interface and the use of the bug tracker.  I maintain quite a few packages
in community but these were added before I became a dev and I never
bothered moving them to extra.

believed to be clean.