[arch-dev-public] TU autonomy

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 12:12:21 EDT 2007

On 10/17/07, Paul Mattal <paul at mattal.com> wrote:
> One other thing to remember in this whole repo debate is that, while
> the TUs derive some authority from the dev structure (primarily by
> means of our hosting the AUR), they are intended as a generally
> autonomous group.
>
> Deciding for them what should and shouldn't go in community will
> have repercussions. We should remember well our history lessons
> about how difficult it is to set up a stable and productive TU
> ecosystem before we rock that boat.
>
> We should not consider it obviously in our jurisdiction to use
> [community] as part of our own official repository plan.

Well that works in theory, but to be realistic about it, it's still
hosted on gerolde and still uses our resources. Were it completely
autonomous, it would be on a separate server like the kdemod project.

So, we do have SOME weight in how this works. Even for the simple fact
that "it's using our bandwidth".