[arch-dev-public] Status of QT4

Varun Acharya ganja.guru.x64 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 06:08:44 EDT 2007

Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to ask what the status of QT4 is. There are some packages which
> cannot be updated due to dependency on the new version of QT.
>
> It wouldn't be that bad idea to update qt before KDE4 is ready. I wonder if
> the following upgrade path works:
>
> * introduce a qt3 package (just rename the current qt; files should stay
>   in /opt/qt)
> * repackage those packages which directly depend on qt3. (there are not that
>   many)
> * update the qt package to version 4 and install all files to /usr
> * packages like kdebase should still work because they do not directly depend
>   on qt (from pacmans point of view) and search fore qt files in /opt/qt.
>
> What do you think? Is it really that simple?
>
> Pierre

Since were not sure of the exact time when KDE 4 will be released, and
speculation even pushing its release into 2008, I suggest we leave qt3
untouched for now at /opt/qt (with the package name 'qt' ) and introduce
qt4 into extra at '/opt/qt4' and pkgname 'qt4'. We can avoid the
repackage if we do it this way..

Varun