[arch-dev-public] rebuilding the whole core repo

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Sat Oct 20 07:36:41 EDT 2007

A new glibc 2.7 is out and it's time to build a new toolchain. After
each major glibc and gcc update it's recommended to rebuild every pkg.
Only that way you can make sure to get latest (speed) improvements and
fixes. This is no problem for all non-rolling release distros. So far
we haven't done this before. But now we should try.

ArchLinux community strongly depends on good internet connections. So
for most parts of the users this will be no problem.

My suggestion:

1) We rebuild the core repo. It's small enough to start there.

We run a script increasing the pkgrel, run makeworld and upload
everything to testing.
I'm not sure if makeworld {core,lib,devel,support} will run through. We
should test it. We could still hack a simple script doing the makepkg
calls one by one in the order we like. After some testing this whole
bunch of packages would move to core. Both needs to be done for i686
and x86_64.

2) The extra cleanup should be done meanwhile.

3) Rebuild extra repo and fix or kick broken packages.

I could offer some systems to do the rebuilds. I only have slow
upload bandwidth.

Thoughts? How could help out?

-Andy