[arch-dev-public] rebuilding the whole core repo

Daniel Isenmann daniel.isenmann at gmx.de
Sat Oct 20 16:17:32 EDT 2007

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:36:41 +0200
Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:

> A new glibc 2.7 is out and it's time to build a new toolchain. After
> each major glibc and gcc update it's recommended to rebuild every pkg.
> Only that way you can make sure to get latest (speed) improvements and
> fixes. This is no problem for all non-rolling release distros. So far
> we haven't done this before. But now we should try.
>
> ArchLinux community strongly depends on good internet connections. So
> for most parts of the users this will be no problem.
>
> My suggestion:
>
> 1) We rebuild the core repo. It's small enough to start there.
>
> We run a script increasing the pkgrel, run makeworld and upload
> everything to testing.
> I'm not sure if makeworld {core,lib,devel,support} will run through.
> We should test it. We could still hack a simple script doing the
> makepkg calls one by one in the order we like. After some testing
> this whole bunch of packages would move to core. Both needs to be
> done for i686 and x86_64.
>
> 2) The extra cleanup should be done meanwhile.
>
> 3) Rebuild extra repo and fix or kick broken packages.
>
> I could offer some systems to do the rebuilds. I only have slow
> upload bandwidth.
>
> Thoughts? How could help out?
>
> -Andy

I can help out. I have a good upload connection and I can offer some
free time in the evenings. The script for automatically increasing the
pkgrel have you get already from me.

For need of other scripts, just let me know. I can hack something
together.

I think the process you described for rebuilding the whole core repo
first is ok. I think, we should try it.

Daniel