[arch-dev-public] pending initscripts tasks

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 08:57:22 EDT 2007

2007/10/21, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com>:
> 2007/10/19, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de>:
> > the utf bug would be cool if roman(romashka) could take care of till sunday:
> > http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7641
> >

> 2007/10/21, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de>:
> > Roman any progress on the utf thing?
>
> It's broken.
> You've applied changes from rc.sysinit.part instead of
> rc.sysinit-utf8-keymap.patch
> and I confirm that I was right here:
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7641#comment19901
> "%G should be called explicitly from profile.sh too (this way if user
> or application resets the console - it can be restored with simple
> relogin)."

Oh, sorry, I said incorrect things here.
In fact, it's the non-UTF-8 mode that was broken, UTF-8 was OK.

> 2007/10/21, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:
> > If you need any changes to initscripts, can you clone the archlinux
> > initscripts repository (see http://projects.archlinux.org/git) and send
> > me a patch created by git-format-patch?
>
> Good, I'll post a patch for utf8 & keymap issues soon.

OK, I've attached the patch below.

I've successfully tested it in the following configurations:
1)
LOCALE="uk_UA.utf8"
KEYMAP="ua-utf"
CONSOLEFONT=cyr-sun16
CONSOLEMAP=
2)
LOCALE="uk_UA.koi8-u"
KEYMAP="ua"
CONSOLEFONT=koi8u_8x16
CONSOLEMAP=
3)
LOCALE="ru_RU.koi8-r"
KEYMAP="ru"
CONSOLEFONT=Cyr_a8x16
CONSOLEMAP=koi2alt
4)
LOCALE="uk_UA.utf8"
KEYMAP="ua-utf"
CONSOLEFONT=LatArCyrHeb-16
CONSOLEMAP=

I would like to hear a confirmation that original report in
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7641 is fixed too.

Few notices:
1) It seems that "\e(K" is non needed for UTF-8 mode, right now it is
appended to locale.sh in when CONSOLEFONT is set, regardless of
LOCALE.
But it doesn't hurt and I didn't want to complicate our if/then/else magic more.
2) *If* we'll have localized dmesg, rc.* output or /etc/issue in
future - we'll need to echo "\e%G" or "\e(K" for current (or, for
/etc/issue - all consoles) in rc.sysinit too, because right now
non-Latin chars will get correctly displayed only after login.
I think we don't need this because a) we don't have localized dmesg
and rc.* output and b) if user wants non-Latin chars in /etc/issue -
he can incorporate "\e%G" or "\e(K" codes directly in /etc/issue.
3) With some fonts (e.g. LatArCyrHeb-16) everything printed on screen
before setfont is broken - I couldn't find the way to avoid this. IMO
this is a non-issue (at least noone even complained about this ever).
All 3 are not bugs.

> > Could you also tell me if you know about any pending initscripts tasks?
>
> I remember runlevel switching issues (switching from 3rd to 1st to 3rd
> level is wrong) but it's not very important (exists for more than year
> already) because almost nobody does this.

Why not shutdown *all* daemons in reverse order, not just those that
are not in DAEMONS?

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)