[arch-dev-public] Killing CVS [was: Status Report 2007-10-15]

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Tue Oct 23 01:17:37 EDT 2007

> I've noticed this at work as well- I do think an ssh-based checkout
> would go faster than an HTTP one?

Is this a question?  I'm pretty sure that, in addition to speed ups because
of more revisions, using ssh-based checkouts or svn:// based checkout would
also make things faster.

> > The major flaw that I can find with this layout is that bulk editing
> > becomes more difficult.  Because we don't a) abuse CVS tags and b) check
> > out the whole repository, mass changes are difficult to apply to packages.
> This could hurt when it comes to huge rebuilds.

I still think that we can extend tools around archrelease and archco to
make changes on a mass scale.  They wouldn't be used as often, but would be
available when we needed them.

Jason