[arch-dev-public] initscripts change: daemon shutdown

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 13:12:27 EDT 2007

On 10/26/07, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 11:30:39AM +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> > initscripts have been changed to only shut down daemons which use
> > add_daemon and are thus in /var/run/daemons. Please fix daemon scripts
> > which both need a shutdown AND don't have add_daemon.
> >
> > On my end, I will fix bluetooth. Please check your system for others.
>
> I just noticed a problem with dbmail that highlights a method we used to
> use...
>
> What do you do if a daemon script starts multiple daemons?
> /etc/rc.d/dbmail can start dbmail-imapd, dbmail-pop3d, dbmail-lmtpd and it
> runs add_daemon dbmail-imapd, dbmail-pop3d, and dbmail-lmtpd.
>
> One option is to just run "add_daemon dbmail" to signal arch that we need
> to stop the dbmail daemon script.  Is this what we want to do or are there
> other ways to fix it?

I don't think I understand what you mean. Each daemon script should be
"reversible" - that is, if my start) section spawns off 3 processes,
they should all be killed by stop). If it starts other rc.d scripts,
then it should also stop them as well. If stopping them is not a good
idea (in the case of hal/dbus), as long as THOSE scripts add_daemon,
it will be handled properly.