[arch-dev-public] First list of removal candidates

Sat Oct 27 11:14:17 EDT 2007

Hi,

As promised, here is a first list of removal candidates.  Please go
through it to make sure we don't remove a package that, for some reason,
should remain in extra. Some of the reason are actually questions
(cvsup, gnome-system-tools, ksymoops, makedev, nail, rxvt_ja, rxvt) so it
would be nice if someone can answer them. As said before, some of these
packages are depends of community packages. Please just dicuss them for
now. I would prefer to do the actual removal myself. I will do so in a few
days after the discussion.

=====================================
  Package 	 Reason to remove it.
=====================================
asteroids3d	orphaned games
atomix	orphaned games
cgoban2	orphaned games
cl-ppcre	unused lib
cl-ppmx	unused lib
cl-sdraw	unused lib
connmon	sources not found/dead project
cvsup	Can be replaced by csup which builds on both architecture.
dmalloc	orphaned/low usage
easysock	dead project (or merged with libggz)
eterm	only one that still depends on freetype1
eventlog	unused lib
fnlib	unused lib
fortunelock	orphaned games
gdsl	unused lib
gimp-freetype	old, gimp plugin
gimp-panorama-tools	can't be installed because one of its depends (panorama-tools) was removed as it was obsolete
gkx86info	depends on gkrellm which has been moved to community
glchess	orphaned games
glitz	unused lib
gltron	orphaned games
gnome-system-tools (in unstable)	replace with new package from AUR and move to Extra?
gramofile	dead project
gtetrinet	orphaned games
gtk+extra	unused lib
gtk-thinice-theme	theme for gtk, low usage, this type of pkg can be moved to AUR
gtk2+extra	unused lib
gtodo	AUR candidate, low usage
hermes	unused lib
javax-usb	orphaned/low usage
ksymoops	Does it still work? It's a 2 yrs old kernel util. From the version number, it seems that it was for kernel 2.4
libdivxdecore	orphaned/depreceated
libesmtp	unused lib
libgdamm	unused lib
libggz	unused lib
libghttp	unused lib
libnss-mysql	unused lib
libpixman	unused lib
libproplist	unused lib
libsafe	unused lib
libsvg-cairo	unused lib
libunicode	unused lib
lighthouseblue-gtk1	theme for gtk, low usage, this type of pkg can be moved to AUR
lopster	No more development based on this release is planned.
makedev	Do we need this anymore? What do we gain over mknod?
metakit	unused lib
mgm	updated 2004, dead project
mm	unused lib
mowitz	unused lib
mt-st	low usage: it's for Linux SCSI tape driver
mtx	low usage: it's for tape drives
nail	has been integrated into the Heirloom project as mailx. We already have another mailx package so we might as well remove nail
napshare	last version dates from Jan. 2006, doesn't build
neverball	orphaned game
nurbs++	unused lib
pclock	WM dockapp
pdns-ldap	unused lib
pdns-mysql	unused lib
pdns-pgsql	unused lib
peacock	orphaned/low usage
phpmyadmin	orphaned web package
pwm	low usage: lightweight window manager
rcs	obsoleted by more modern/popular SCM
ringtonetools	old, low usage
rxtx	orphaned/low usage
rxvt_ja	can be replaced by rxvt-unicode (I guess)
rxvt	can be replaced by rxvt-unicode (I guess)
sdlmm	orphaned/low usage
shapelib	unused lib
skyutils	unused lib
spectemu	orphaned/low usage
trackballs	orphaned game
ucl	unused lib
vcr	one of it's depends (avifile) has been moved to community
wwl	low usage: ham-radio
x264-svn (in unstable)	orphaned, stable version is in extra

believed to be clean.