[arch-dev-public] Logo -- Concerns over developer entries.

James Rayner iphitus at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 07:47:43 EDT 2007

Forwarding on some concerns over entries by developers in the logo
competition.

I havn't made an official entry, but I have been taking ideas on some
designs, with the intention of an official entry after development.
http://src.iphitus.org/arch-logo/conceptAB.png
http://src.iphitus.org/arch-logo/conceptC.png
http://src.iphitus.org/arch-logo/conceptD.png

To quote:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=294343#p294343

" Finally, I have a more logistical concern about your potential
submission. Rules have been laid out that devs will be the ones doing the
initial vote on the logo, and the community only votes in the case of a
tie. You submitting as a developer flags as an overt conflict of interest.
Regardless of whether you vote or not on your design, you have no way to
assure the community that nepotism won't come into play in the logo
decision, if you submit. This will discourage others from submitting as
they will all be starting at a SIGNIFICANT disadvantage as a decision
maker will be creating a design of their own. If the developers wanted to
create their own logo, they should not have ordained a community contest
to have a logo created. I'm hoping all developers can appreciate this
point of view. "

So two points:
 - Conflict of interest, easily solved
 - Favouritism.