[arch-dev-public] Logo -- Concerns over developer entries.

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 08:01:09 EDT 2007

On 10/30/07, James Rayner <iphitus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Forwarding on some concerns over entries by developers in the logo
> competition.
>
> I havn't made an official entry, but I have been taking ideas on some
> designs, with the intention of an official entry after development.
> http://src.iphitus.org/arch-logo/conceptAB.png
> http://src.iphitus.org/arch-logo/conceptC.png
> http://src.iphitus.org/arch-logo/conceptD.png
>
> To quote:
> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=294343#p294343
>
> " Finally, I have a more logistical concern about your potential
> submission. Rules have been laid out that devs will be the ones doing the
> initial vote on the logo, and the community only votes in the case of a
> tie. You submitting as a developer flags as an overt conflict of interest.
> Regardless of whether you vote or not on your design, you have no way to
> assure the community that nepotism won't come into play in the logo
> decision, if you submit. This will discourage others from submitting as
> they will all be starting at a SIGNIFICANT disadvantage as a decision
> maker will be creating a design of their own. If the developers wanted to
> create their own logo, they should not have ordained a community contest
> to have a logo created. I'm hoping all developers can appreciate this
> point of view. "
>
> So two points:
>  - Conflict of interest, easily solved
>  - Favouritism.
>
> Thoughts?

My thought? This is extreme (maybe even bullshit?) to me. Usually one
resorts to nepotism when it pays off for both parties. Considering 1.
you aren't getting paid 2. we aren't getting paid either, I don't see
it playing that big of a factor.

The community clearly wanted to get involved with this as they pretty
much started it on their own. It is sad to think that a member of the
dev team with ideas shouldn't even be allowed to submit them.

I feel like we are a pretty honest group of guys here running this
thing, and these type of comments actually bug me believe it or not.

-Dan