[arch-dev-public] perl modules in archlinux

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sat Sep 1 19:13:29 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-02 at 01:00 +0200, Damir Perisa wrote:
> great job!
>
> Sunday 02 September 2007, Jan de Groot wrote:
>  | - make all build() functions the same
>
> by the way: can we not have a predefined function that is defined
> somewhere central and makepkg knows about? something like buildperl()
> that you can just run in PKGBUILD if it is the same for a lot of
> pkgs.
>
> - D

Besides the directory to go to for the build, there's not much
difference. Some packages are a bit harder to do because they need
customization (some of them have interactivity which you must
disable...).

I see we have several things going on in our distribution:
- universal installed binaries, like gconfpkg in the gconf package to
handle postinstall/preremove of gconf schemas
- copy&paste like we always do
- one stupid file that is copied into many directories because our
packages should be able to build on its own (goodconf, badconf, uglyconf
in gstreamer). I would love to see this one solved the same way as GConf
BTW, a scriptlet in the Gstreamer0.10 package.

We should have a unified way of doing these things. Frugalware can do it
with their F* macros, Debian can do it with dh_*, Gentoo has their
Eclasses, why can't we do this?