[arch-dev-public] [core] move oragnisation

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 18:41:47 EDT 2007

On 9/13/07, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
> aaron is 7 hours behind germany.

Yeah 7 hour difference here.
Ummm let me see, I will be available but at work from... hmmm
14:00-23:00 your time, so I can do what I can.
Of course, as usual, I will be home around 24:00 or 1:00 your time,
and can do whatever at that time.

> Put your ideas here, how to do it smoothly.
> the easies way to move the stuff in would be to put all in base.
> including kernel + modules.

I'm not sure if you mean the "base" directory or not, but that could work.

I would say if you want to organize the "troops" everyone grabs a
directory and goes at that, so we don't have overlap, but you might
have plans for this.

We also need to make sure to remember to move the packages to
someone's staging dir, so we can run the db scripts and repopulate the
mysql DBs and the repos (this includes /del in current and /add in
extra). This is an important one that I could see overlooked.

As for actually moving files via CVS, there are a few options...
firstly, we can (possibly) move the raw RCS files from the backend. I
have never done this but I think, in theory, it works.
Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Moving the RCS files would be the *best* thing to do, but I don't know
how practical it is...

> will cause probably some issues on ftp installs in setup and kernel
> installation, which can then be solved with new isos eventually.

Yeah. I thought of this. Our ftp installs will have problems. I don't
know the current incarnation of our installer well enough, but what
problems will this cause exactly? I was under the assumption that as
long as we put the right things in packages.txt everything will work
out fine. (I'm probably wrong though).