[arch-dev-public] [core] move oragnisation

Tobias Powalowski t.powa at gmx.de
Fri Sep 14 01:10:01 EDT 2007

Am Freitag 14 September 2007 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
Hi
> > Put your ideas here, how to do it smoothly.
> > the easies way to move the stuff in would be to put all in base.
> > including kernel + modules.
>
> I'm not sure if you mean the "base" directory or not, but that could work.
yes that's what i meant.

> I would say if you want to organize the "troops" everyone grabs a
> directory and goes at that, so we don't have overlap, but you might
> have plans for this.
>
> We also need to make sure to remember to move the packages to
> someone's staging dir, so we can run the db scripts and repopulate the
> mysql DBs and the repos (this includes /del in current and /add in
> extra). This is an important one that I could see overlooked.
yes
> As for actually moving files via CVS, there are a few options...
> firstly, we can (possibly) move the raw RCS files from the backend. I
> have never done this but I think, in theory, it works.
> Can anyone confirm or deny that?
this cvs moving just on the main server did also come to my mind yesterday.
This is the easiest and safest way (if it works) to still have the history.
Sure we should tar the old cvs structure as backup before doing anything, that
we can revert stuff easily if something goes wrong.
Does anyone have good experience in CVS that can tell us how well this would
work?

> Moving the RCS files would be the *best* thing to do, but I don't know
> how practical it is...

> Yeah. I thought of this. Our ftp installs will have problems. I don't
> know the current incarnation of our installer well enough, but what
> problems will this cause exactly? I was under the assumption that as
> long as we put the right things in packages.txt everything will work
> out fine. (I'm probably wrong though).
though i haven'T tried it, i think if modules are  in base , they depend on
kernel, which will cause the kernel to be installed during package
installation.
By having the kernel also in "base" it will be shown during package selection.
The kernel will be installed twice then, but this could be fixed with a new
iso and setup that is adapted to this.
Old ftp installs should still work, though.
This is only theory how i expect it to happen.

greetings
tpowa
--
Tobias Powalowski