[arch-dev-public] Repository cleanup [current] and [base] --> [core], this weekend!

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Sep 14 05:29:46 EDT 2007

Paul Mattal schrieb:
> As I recall (because I originally supported this and then conceded that
> the other was a better plan), we decided NOT to separate the repos based
> on license/free/non-free but rather to have some way in pacman to say
> "only install items with such and such licenses"-- so not to organize
> our packages by license but rather to let the license features built
> into pacman to allow us to choose software with the licenses we want.

Some time ago, I proposed on the pacman list that there should be more
license support in pacman - and was turned down (I think it was about
displaying licenses with a pacman option).

But what we need for pacman is a list of licenses that the user already
accepted and it needs to explicitly ask the user to accept another
license once he installs a package with a custom license. I don't think
anyone in the pacman area is working on that right now.

This concerns the "support" category of our new core repository: Intel
agreed that we put their firmware files on the installer (which is very
useful imo), but said the user should accept the license first.

Also pacman has no support for "filtering" non-free packages, so we
can't use a script to not put them on a DVD.