[arch-dev-public] Repository cleanup [current] and [base] --> [core], this weekend!

Tom K tom at archlinux.org
Sat Sep 15 04:59:36 EDT 2007

Thomas Bächler wrote:
> [core]
> -> base:
> everything in our current/base except gcc, auto*, pkgconfig and
>  such (make base smaller)
> -> devel:
> the gcc, auto*, pkgconfig
> -> support: (=stuff you may need to get the system running)
> ndiswrapper
> ndiswrapper-utils
> wlan-ng26
> rt2500
> madwifi
> madwifi-utils
> bcm43xx-fwcutter
> These are the ones you added, I'd like to add ipw3945, ipw3945d,
> ipw3495-ucode, iwlwifi, iwlwifi-{3945,4965}-ucode, rt2x00 and any other
> network driver or firmware we are allowed to add (Intel is okay with it,
> who else is?)

I mailed Ralink about their firmware, and I now have authorisation for
us to distribute them, along with a specific license file.

Do we need both rt2500 and rt2x00? I've never used rt2500, but rt2x00 is
working very well for me these days.

> fuse
> ntfs-3g
> iptables
> dosfsutils
> ntfsprogs
> -kexec-tools (you added that, we don't need that here)
> snarf
> dnsutils
> hdparm
> bridge-utils
> ifenslave
> xinetd
> portmap
> nfsidmap
> nfs-utils
> openssh
> netkit-telnet
> screen
> isdn4k-utils
> capi4k-utils
> ppp (move it from base)
> rp-pppoe (move from base)
> pptpclient
> vpnc
> openvpn

If we're doing VPN support, IPSec users would probably appreciate openswan.