[arch-dev-public] newest bash and bash-completion

Travis Willard travis at archlinux.org
Tue Sep 18 07:26:33 EDT 2007

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:26:43 +0200
Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Travis Willard schrieb:
> > Newest bash seems to kill bash-completion.  I custom-wrote a patch
> > and phrakture, toofishes, and I have all had a run at testing it
> > (definitely not extensively).  Basically the way it handles setting
> > of read-only vars makes it blow up, and causes the remainder of
> > our .bashrcs (after sourcing bash_completion) to not be executed.
> >
> > I've pushed a patched version of bash-completion to TESTING - if
> > those of you using bash_completion could all make sure it's solid
> > I'd appreciate it.  :)
>
> What exactly does it kill? I just ran a quick test and it seemed fine.

For both Dan and myself, when the old /etc/bash_completion script was
sourced from within our .bashrc files, it would get to the point where
it tried to set BASH_COMPLETION and BASH_COMPLETION_DIR (which by then
were already readonly variables), then it would just die, outputting
to stderr (redirected to /dev/null) a message saying that they were
readonly.  Then, nothing in our .bashrc files following the source
of /etc/bash_completion would get executed.

> As bash-completion is not that critical, you could have pushed it to
> extra directly IMO.

Testing was suggested by both Aaron and Dan.  *shrug*

--
Travis