[arch-dev-public] newest bash and bash-completion

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Sep 18 09:26:36 EDT 2007

Travis Willard schrieb:
> For both Dan and myself, when the old /etc/bash_completion script was
> sourced from within our .bashrc files, it would get to the point where
> it tried to set BASH_COMPLETION and BASH_COMPLETION_DIR (which by then
> were already readonly variables), then it would just die, outputting
> to stderr (redirected to /dev/null) a message saying that they were
> readonly.  Then, nothing in our .bashrc files following the source
> of /etc/bash_completion would get executed.

I didn't realize any of this, but it sound reasonable. What surprises me
is that I only added the latest bugfixes to bash, this shouldn't lead to
such breakage.

>> As bash-completion is not that critical, you could have pushed it to
>> extra directly IMO.
>
> Testing was suggested by both Aaron and Dan.  *shrug*

For the exact same reason as above, I didn't push bash to testing. If it
works for you two, we can add bash-completion with your fixes to extra.