[arch-dev-public] Additional Package ISOs [was Xorg in extra]

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sat Sep 22 08:44:52 EDT 2007

Aaron Griffin schrieb:
> On 9/20/07, JJDaNiMoTh <jjdanimoth at gmail.com> wrote:
>> They can download core isos ( that are more frequently released ) from university or
>> at work, it's right.. but how they can download all the packages in /extra?
>> Have we a plain for these situation (like a iso with-all, using a dvd)?
>>
>> Excuse me if this was recently discussed. Links are appreciated :D
>
> This was discussed, but it wasn't covered in a public manner all that well.
>
> The rough plan, at this point, would be to create *additional* ISOs
> with sets of packages. This was suggested around the proverbial water
> cooler, but was never really laid out all that well.

The plan that at least some of us had, was to provide an additional iso
in DVD size that includes the installer, core and most of extra. While
this won't happen for the next release (2.6.23, maybe already this
month), I want it to happen for the 2.6.24 release which should be
around in December. We should then provide three isos again, 'ftp',
'core' and 'extra'.

Nothing has been done about the actual implementation yet, there are
still some ideas needed about how to sort out non-free packages and
possibly how to fit it on a DVD.

When installing from the DVD, the installer should provide the
possibility to use the DVD as a repository instead of the online
repositories. This would benefit offline users, they could get the DVD
(it could be sold like our current isos) and update their system every
three months. This could also be useful for users with a slow
connection, who can do small updates online, but not the smaller ones.