[arch-dev-public] Architecture Independent Packages

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Fri Sep 28 14:44:45 EDT 2007

Am Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:07:21 +0300
schrieb "Roman Kyrylych" <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com>:

> 2007/9/27, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
> > > Note that we don't need any noarch repo or something like this!
> > > We should just do this:
> > > 1) modify {core,extra,community}pkg to tag CVS files for noarch
> > > packages as CURRENT and CURRENT64 at the same time
> > > 2) add noarch packages to i686 and x86_64 .db.tar.gz files at the
> > > same time (modify all needed scripts)
> > > 3) modify makepkg to understand arch=('any') (or 'all', feel free
> > > to name it) and make -any.pkg.tar.gz files
> > > 4) modify our web backend (we need to do this anyway because of
> > > x86_64 support) No changes to pacman needed.
> >
> > This is a good point, I didn't think about it. Pacman 3.0 lists
> > actual filenames in the DBs (so a package could actually be named
> > "lol.wtf" if you wanted it to). If we simply add special handling
> > in the scripts (makepkg, db scripts, etc) for -any/-all packages,
> > we can solve this with little changes.
> >
> > Dan and I will look into this - could someone add a ticket to
> > flyspray as a reminder - assign it to Dan and myself.
>
> Done: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8153

Please make sure you don't force us to use the devtools! It should be
possible to do the build process without any tools.

I always had the problem that devtools didn't support pkgdest from
makepkg.conf and i couldn't set any bandwidth limit. So i cannot use
them. I prefer to do everything at commandline myself and want to use
any tool (e.g. for ftp uplaod) i want.

And please keep in mind that simplicity/KISS is one our (still not
defined) goals. That also came up when we were discussing about splitted
packages and unreadable pkgbuilds.

I don't think it's important to have noarch implemented right now as one
the first new features. A buildserver and beeing more multiarch
capable (cvs move, website/feeds, maintainership) seems more important
to me. But I'm not against it at all if you can implement it easy.

Andy