[arch-dev-public] Architecture Independent Packages

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 14:56:06 EDT 2007

On 9/28/07, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> Am Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:07:21 +0300
> schrieb "Roman Kyrylych" <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com>:

> > > This is a good point, I didn't think about it. Pacman 3.0 lists
> > > actual filenames in the DBs (so a package could actually be named
> > > "lol.wtf" if you wanted it to). If we simply add special handling
> > > in the scripts (makepkg, db scripts, etc) for -any/-all packages,
> > > we can solve this with little changes.
> > >
> > > Dan and I will look into this - could someone add a ticket to
> > > flyspray as a reminder - assign it to Dan and myself.
> >
> > Done: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8153
> >

> Please make sure you don't force us to use the devtools! It should be
> possible to do the build process without any tools.

Wait wait. This is a totally different issue here.

We should all be using devtools to do this. If you are not for some
specific reason, let someone know (we have a bug tracker for a
reason).

It is actually important, going forward, that we all use devtools. We
all use makepkg right? You're not manually running configure and make,
then creating a PKGINFO file.
For the same reason we should all ALWAYS use devtools.

Here's a good example.
Recently Andy uploaded openoffice, but there was an error during
transfer. However, no one noticed and it went into the repos like
that.
Thomas created a patch that verifies these things when you use devtools.

See, I'm not trying to be an ass by saying "do this", but the simple
fact of the matter is that the more unified our process, the less
errors we will have.

Andy, can you please inform us as to why you do not use devtools?