[arch-dev-public] Architecture Independent Packages

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 15:04:47 EDT 2007

On 9/28/07, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> I don't think it's important to have noarch implemented right now as one
> the first new features. A buildserver and beeing more multiarch
> capable (cvs move, website/feeds, maintainership) seems more important
> to me. But I'm not against it at all if you can implement it easy.

As a different issue here. I feel it's important. I am one of our
pacman developers. So most likely this will get done.

See, here's the thing I see from a lot of developers here.

You guys don't realize this is open source. Most of the open source
development is of the "scratch an itch" kind. I find Z important, so I
implement Z.

If you think that pacbuild is important, then by golly, work on
pacbuild. This is how we SHOULD be working, but I see nothing of the
sort.

Instead I see people saying "hey you guys should work on what I find
important". This is not only _not_ in the spirit of open source, but
it is rude.

Frankly, if I write some code and get, in response, "you should have
been working on feature A instead", it makes me angry. It makes me
feel unappreciated. It makes me lose motivation.

So please. We need to stop this mentality of "don't do X, Y is more
important". The reason these threads are brought up is NOT so we can
go off on tangents and talk about other things. They exist so we can
talk about the topic.