[arch-dev-public] Arch mirrors (discuss)

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 13:01:26 EDT 2007

2007/9/29, eliott <eliott at cactuswax.net>:
> > Since we don't have a lot of mirrors I don't think it's reasonable to
> > do 2-tier mirror network.
>
> Yeah. If people want to do their own 2nd tier model, they can always
> use the wiki.
> *nods*
>
> > I propose the following:
> > 1) Any mirror that is not synced from rsync.archlinux.org should not
> > be listed in pacman's mirrorlist. Users could add any preferred mirror
> > from "Unofficial mirrors" section on Wiki is enought IMO.
> > Similarly there's no reason to have a long list of unofficial mirrors
> > on Get Arch page.
> > 2) All official mirrors should provide and keep up-to-date the following info:
> > a) FTP/HTTP/rsync URLs
> > it is highly recommended that they are the same, so users could easily
> > change which protocol they like to use in pacman's mirrorlist,
> > we could even add a comment to each server in pacman's mirrorlist
> > indicating whether alternative protocol is available
> > b) bandwidth (sometimes there are even different limits for local vs
> > foreign users)
> > c) email address of admin
> > e) timeframes when mirror is synced
> > 3) All official mirrors are recommended to use the script from
> > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Local_Mirror#The_synchronization_script
> > with SYNC_REPO=() or SYNC_REPO=(core extra unstable testing community iso)
> > 4) outdated or incomplete mirrors should be removed from pacman's
> > mirrorlist and hosts.alllow
> > 5) we should limit the number of official mirrors, depending on the
> > size of country/region (e.g. not 15 mirrors for Vatican and 2 for USA
> > :-P)
>
> These all seem like very reasonable to me.
>
> So do you think it makes sense to have a "mirror list" page that is
> perhaps linked off the downloads page?

Well, I think official mirror list can be kept on our download page
(almost all official mirrors have iso dirs anyway, those who don't -
deserve removal :-P).
It can be a table with the following row format:

mirror | FTP | HTTP | rsync | country
mirror.domain.org | + | + | + | Country1
mir1.domain2.com | + | - | - | Country2

where mirror name should be a URL to the FTP (or HTTP if FTP does not exist)
and those "+" (or some nice checkmark images) should be URLs of
respective protocol.

And put a link to 'Unofficial mirrors' section on wiki page.

This way official mirrorlist will be clean and could be changed only by devs.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)