[arch-dev-public] ArchISO FTP Installer - Round 2

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Apr 4 03:09:59 EDT 2008

Simo Leone schrieb:
> First off, thanks for the feedback last week. Most of the issues were
> minor and not-too-technical, so they weren't too tricky to iron out.

There is an issue I already discussed with Aaron on jabber, which we
should be very careful about:

We need to be extremely careful about which hard disk controller drivers
we load and in which order we load them:

- If we load the IDE driver on the CD, we need to load the IDE driver in
the installed system's initramfs (same for s/IDE/PATA/g;)
- We need to keep the exact ordering of the drivers we load: Having
several controllers is now rather normal and we must ensure that they
always have the same order.

We took care of this on the archboot iso in a rather hackish way until
now, and we need a solution for this for the new installers as well.

The first issue is easy to solve by always using pata and only falling
back to ide if the user explicitly asks for it, remembering that
decision and acting on it during installation.

I am not sure about the second issue. However, there are alternatives:
- ensure the right ordering
- use persistant by-uuid naming in fstab and menu.lst
- use udev's weird persistant device rules

This must be solved before this is released as an official installer,
otherwise we will have unbootable systems again.