[arch-dev-public] [Draft] ABS announcement

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 15:35:49 EDT 2008

2008/4/12, Travis Willard <travis at archlinux.org>:
> May as well tell the people what's happening with ABS.  Here's an
>  announcement draft:
>
>  -----------8<-----------------8<--------
>  ABS 2.0 In Testing
>
>  With version 2, ABS has moved to an rsync method for pulling the ABS
>  tree, as part of the changes that needed to be made for our internal
>  move from CVS to SVN as our source control mechanism.  This means a
>  few things:
>
>  1) cvsup/csup are no longer required
>  2) /etc/abs/supfile.* are no longer required
>  3) Anyone opening ports for use with ABS will now need to open port
>  837, the rsync port
>
>  Also, since category information (ie. base, devel, editors) is no
>  longer stored in the repo, makeworld has been updated - check
>  makeworld -h for more info.
>  -----------8<-----------------8<--------
>
>  Thoughts?

Sounds fine to me except #3 - I don't understand it (and I probably
some users will too).
Can you explain it please?

Also, since you mentioned SVN move - should we make an announcement
about SVN move first (or combine it with ABS newsitem)? *shrugs*
(probably this had to be done (as Andy mentioned) as soon as we've
made CVS read-only, but oh well).

P.S.: now (after abs signoff) csup can be removed from Core, I think.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)