[arch-dev-public] Rsync to [core]

Travis Willard travis at archlinux.org
Wed Apr 16 10:28:20 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Travis Willard <travis at archlinux.org> wrote:
>  >
>  > On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 4:16 AM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >
>  >  > On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 2:21 AM, Simo Leone <simo at archlinux.org> wrote:
>  >  >  > On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 09:35:34PM -0700, eliott wrote:
>  >  >  >  > > Fine with it, as long as you move csup out too (extra for now, maybe
>  >  >  >  > >  community/unsupported down the road?).
>  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  > My opinion would be move abs to extra, along with rsync.
>  >  >  >  > It is only that though, an opinion. I guess I don't have strong
>  >  >  >  > feelings about it.
>  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  I agree, it doesn't really fit in that "must have" category. But like
>  >  >  >  eliott, I'm surprisingly indifferent.
>  >  >
>  >  >  Agreed. ABS is not system critical. Hell, even devtools and namcap are in extra.
>  >
>  >  Hm - fair enough. :P I guess I'll still be moving package around, but
>  >  not in the order I originally expected. :P
>
>  Pretty indifferent here as well, I guess I just remembered some talk
>  way back of core being system critical stuff, but *also* being a
>  completely self-contained way to build an Arch system from scratch. I
>  thought that was a big reason why we would want to keep it there.

Yeah, this morning I thought I had something with an argument that
we've recently been saying we don't want to patch the kernel for every
Jim, Bob, and Jane that have an exotic module.  I thought to myself
"Hey, if they need that exotic module to get the system up and
running, they'll probably want ABS to build the kernel!"

Then it occurred to me that, if their system isn't up and running, how
are they supposed to use ABS in the first place?

It's a chicken-and-the-egg scenario - for ABS to be useful, you need
an internet connection.  However, if you have an internet connection,
you can just run pacman -S abs and get it from extra.  So meh.