[arch-dev-public] 8 CPUs instead of 4? (was: kernel26 2.6.25-1 enters [testing])

eliott eliott at cactuswax.net
Sun Apr 20 14:23:40 EDT 2008

On 4/20/08, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>  > Have a look at:
>  >  http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=47390
>  >
>  >  According to the kernel configuration help, increasing the maximum number
>  > of CPUs from 4 to 8 will make the kernel 32KB bigger with no performance
>  > decrease.
>  >
>  >  Opinions?
>

> I'd always rather these things go through the ML or a feature request,
>  rather than a forum post. That way someone can actually trace the
>  process.
>
>  Sounds fine to me, although I don't think there is any point on i686
>  (who would run >4 cores there?). x86_64 makes sense though.

Well.. if it isn't harmful in any way, and if we would do it on
x86_64, then we should also do it on i686. Having as consistent a
baseline as possible is good.

As to actually doing it, are there any ramifications due to the
potential for tracking additional cpus (timeslice allocation
algorithmic changes?) that would be a noticeable performance inpact
for people running 2 or 4 cpus?