[arch-dev-public] 8 CPUs instead of 4?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sun Apr 20 16:08:28 EDT 2008

eliott schrieb:
> Well.. if it isn't harmful in any way, and if we would do it on
> x86_64, then we should also do it on i686. Having as consistent a
> baseline as possible is good.

Agreed.

> As to actually doing it, are there any ramifications due to the
> potential for tracking additional cpus (timeslice allocation
> algorithmic changes?) that would be a noticeable performance inpact
> for people running 2 or 4 cpus?

"This allows you to specify the maximum number of CPUs which this
kernel will support.  The maximum supported value is 255 and the
minimum value which makes sense is 2.

This is purely to save memory - each supported CPU adds
approximately eight kilobytes to the kernel image."

That's all they say about it.