[arch-dev-public] Drop the unstable repository

Mon Apr 21 16:08:25 EDT 2008

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, Thomas Bächler wrote:

> Aaron Griffin schrieb:
>> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Eric Belanger
>> <belanger at astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>>>  I don't mind wether we keep the rest in the unstable repo or move them in
>>> extra. If we move them in extra, we could add "Developement version" at
>>> the
>>> end of the package description to inform the user.
>>
>> I'm fine with this here, if you all want to do it. I've only ever used
>> mplayer-svn once, and not for too long. /me shrugs
>
> It seems Pierre is indifferent, Andy is fine with moving his -devel packages
> to extra and Eric and Tobias didn't really give an opinion.
>
> It seems like everyone is indifferent :) As for me, I don't think using a
> separate repository for a handfull of -devel packages is necessary - for some
> of those packages, the name "unstable" would keep users from using them even
> if they're perfectly safe to use.
>
> IMO, having "Development Version" in the description and a -devel in the
> pkgname is enough (we should rename firefox3 to firefox-devel).
>
> If I am the only one with a strong opinion on this one, I will make the move
> next weekend or shortly after that, the unstable repository will be empty
> then.

If you want my opinion, +1 for moving the unstable packages to extra.  If
you plan to remove some of them completely, maybe it would be better to
have their maintainers explicitely agreeing with the removal.  Or, at the
very least, post a list of potential removal candidates so they can be
discussed.
believed to be clean.