[arch-dev-public] pacman tag support (initial patch attached)

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 01:45:21 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Ronald van Haren <pressh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi guys!
>>
>> Can someone give me write access to pacman git (Dan?), so I don't have
>> to send every patch to the list :)
>
> For the record, this is on purpose. git makes it so that it's very
> easy to send patches and manage your own repo. I am totally
> comfortable with Dan managing this. If you use git-format-patch and
> git-send-email, emailing patches to an ML is a breeze, and applying
> them (with git-am) is too.
>
> I'd still suggest sending this to the pacman-dev ML, as many of the
> active pacman people are there and not really official developers

I guess I can't blame new developers for their gusto, so no hard
feelings, but getting commit access to pacman.git is not quite that
easy. Talk to the rest of the "development staff" on the pacman-dev
mailing list and you will find 95% of contributions go through the
list, even those of mine that are not trivial. Sending patches to the
list enables us to do easy peer review, and this process has been
tried and tested with Linux kernel development for some time, so it
isn't just for small projects.

As I believe numerous people have said, pacman-dev is a great place to
bring these kind of things up and you will have a much more talkative
audience there. In addition, http://archlinux.org/pacman/HACKING.html
and http://archlinux.org/pacman/submitting-patches.html are helpful
reads.

-Dan