[arch-dev-public] Risky business: udev upgrade

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Aug 28 03:20:46 EDT 2008

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> My !pcspkr entry in the MODULES array of /etc/rc.conf was ignored.
>>

> Looks like modprobe is still called directly in
> /lib/udev/rules.d/80-drivers.rules I will fix that. It should call
> load-modules. Fixing and re-uploading.

Works fine now.

>> Also, I had no (wireless) internet.
>>  Didn't look into this too far but the iwl3945 module had loaded.  I have
>> need for internet today so I gave up there for the time being.
>>

> Odd... did you also upgrade the kernel or anything? Doesn't sound like
> a udev issue if the module is loaded.

I did not change anything else at the same time.

> For the record, my internet has been flakey recently too, but I think
> that's related to me dropping ndiswrapper for ath5k. ndiswrapper seems
> to give me superior signal strength, but now that the atheros drivers
> are viable for this laptop, I think I'd rather use that...

Further investigation shows it is some kind of issue with
gnome-network-manager as I couldn't even connect via ethernet that way.
All is fine (at least for ethernet) if I don't use
gnome-network-manager.  I will do further investigation later tonight.

Allan