[arch-dev-public] Risky business: udev upgrade

Fri Aug 29 19:19:23 EDT 2008

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Eric Belanger wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Aaron Griffin wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Doh... committed now
>> Just a bump here. I'd like to throw this in testing if someone else
>> can verify I didn't make machines unbootable. When this hit's testing,
>> it will require a rebuild of packages which contain udev rules (move
>> from /etc/udev/rules.d/ to /lib/udev/rules.d/). When I move to
>> testing, I will make a todo list for these packages
> I tried udev-126-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz. My machine still booted fine. The only
> problem that I noticed is that the /dev/sg0  device that it creates for my
> external USB DVD/CD-RW doesn't have the write permission for the optical
> group:
> $ ls -l /dev/sg0
> crw-r----- 1 root optical 21, 0 2008-08-29 18:42 /dev/sg0
> The permissions for sr0 are correct though:
> $ ls -l /dev/sr0
> brw-rw---- 1 root optical 11, 0 2008-08-29 18:42 /dev/sr0

Also, /etc/start_udev refers to /sbin/udevtrigger and /sbin/udevsettle.
These binaries are missing in udev-126-2. If they were removed on purpose,
then start_udev should be updated.

And, 51-arch.rules is being installed in /etc/udev/rules.d. Shouldn't it
go in the new location?

BTW, udev 127 is out (or will be out soon).