[arch-dev-public] Replacing common network programs (netkit-*, etc} with GNU inetutils

Eric Bélanger belanger at ASTRO.UMontreal.CA
Fri Dec 12 00:27:01 EST 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:15 AM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 18:46 -0500, Eric Bélanger wrote:
>>> --enable-tftpd
>>> Could replace netkit-tftp (a xinet daemon)
>>> Could replace tftp-hpa (a rc.d daemon)
>> Some broken Intel E100 nics can't netboot from a modern TFTP server that
>> includes the blksize extension. I know OpenBSD's tftpd doesn't include
>> that extension, and tftp-hpa has an option to disable that extension.
>> I would be fine with replacing netkit-tftp, but replacing tftp-hpa is a
>> no-go for me.
> Yeah, when this came up, I think I mentioned that "tftp-hpa is needed
> for something". I was thinking hardware support... if I remember
> right, I think it was the only tftp that could push to my older WRT
> router...

Sure. If we enaable tftp/tftpd in inetutils, it will conflict with
tftp-hpa and we might not want that as someone might want to use both
packages. We should then disable tftp/tftpd in inetutils and keep tftp-hpa
in the repo. As to netkit-tftp, we could either keep it or remove it.
Another messier solution would be to enable tftp/tftpd in inetutils but to
rename the conflicting files (they would be the tftp client and its man page)