[arch-dev-public] Replacing common network programs (netkit-*, etc} with GNU inetutils

Eric Bélanger belanger at ASTRO.UMontreal.CA
Tue Dec 16 02:58:38 EST 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Eric Bélanger wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Aaron Griffin wrote:

>>> Some broken Intel E100 nics can't netboot from a modern TFTP server that
>>> includes the blksize extension. I know OpenBSD's tftpd doesn't include
>>> that extension, and tftp-hpa has an option to disable that extension.
>>> I would be fine with replacing netkit-tftp, but replacing tftp-hpa is a
>>> no-go for me.
>>
>> Yeah, when this came up, I think I mentioned that "tftp-hpa is needed
>> for something". I was thinking hardware support... if I remember
>> right, I think it was the only tftp that could push to my older WRT
>> router...
>>

> Sure. If we enaable tftp/tftpd in inetutils, it will conflict with tftp-hpa
> and we might not want that as someone might want to use both packages. We
> should then disable tftp/tftpd in inetutils and keep tftp-hpa in the repo. As
> to netkit-tftp, we could either keep it or remove it. Another messier
> solution would be to enable tftp/tftpd in inetutils but to rename the
> conflicting files (they would be the tftp client and its man page)

To get this going, I'll summarize. It looks like there is a general
consensus of adding inetutils to replace some of the current packages
(no-one objected yet) and to follow points A & B.  So we have:

- enabled:
ftp/ftpd
rexecd
rlogin/rlogind
rsh/rshd
rcp
talk/talkd
telnet/telnetd
uucpd

- disabled:
inetd
syslogd
tftp/tftpd
ping
ping6
logger
whois
ifconfig

Which means we will remove:
netkit-ftp
netkit-rsh
netkit-telnet

I also think that we should remove netkit-tftp unless it has
functionnalities that tftp-hpa doesn't. It is orphaned and is less popular
than tftp-hpa. Usage stats: tftp-hpa=4.15 % and netkit-tftp=1.11 %

I'll start working on a package containing the tools that I listed above
as enabled. As there's plenty of daemon scripts to write and test, you have a good 1-2
weeks to think about it and suggest changes.

Eric
believed to be clean.