[arch-dev-public] [arch-general] [signoff] kernel26 2.6.27.9-1

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Tue Dec 16 03:06:23 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 14:42 -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 2:41 PM, RedShift <redshift at pandora.be> wrote:
> > Why not solve it the right way, by creating a correct package?
>
> I think you're missing why this is impossible. Anyone that has m-i-t
> 3.5 on their system now has the .bin files that are owned by no
> package. pacman correctly does not overwrite these files.
>
> What "correct package" are you suggesting?

As these files are generated by module-init-tools whenever it is run for
your kernel, why not solve this using post_* functions?
Whenever the kernel gets installed/upgraded, depmod is run from
post_install/upgrade. Whenever the kernel is removed, the files created
by depmod for this kernel get removed from post_remove. Shouldn't be
hard to do, the result is the same and no file conflicts will exist.

BTW: Please remove the -v flag from depmod in kernel26.install, it's
stupid to make depmod print verbose messages while redirecting output
to /dev/null.