[arch-dev-public] [signoff] kernel26 2.6.28-1

Tobias Powalowski t.powa at gmx.de
Sun Dec 28 04:40:41 EST 2008

Am Samstag 27 Dezember 2008 schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> Tobias Powalowski schrieb:
> > Hi guys, new kernel adresses the following things:
> > - bump to latest major version
> > - atl2 moved into mainline kernel
> > - wlan-ng26 moved into staging directory of kernel development
> > - for the cool stuff please refer to:
> >   http://kernelnewbies.org
> >
> > please signoff for both arches
> >
> > all binary modules have been rebuilt too, please test if they work
> > properly.
> >
> > greetings
> > tpowa
>
> I am opposed to the deprecated
> CONFIG_WIRELESS_OLD_REGULATORY=y
> option in the configuration. With this option, the wireless
> configuration (cfg80211) uses the hardcoded limited regulatory
> information that is inside the kernel. Without this option, we can use
> crda to supply this information (a working PKGBUILD is in crda/trunk).
> The wireless guys only keep this option around "because distributions
> don't ship crda".
Here is the text about this option:
For now we leave an option to enable the old module parameter,
ieee80211_regdom, and to build the 3 old regdomains statically
(US, JP and EU). This option is CONFIG_WIRELESS_OLD_REGULATORY.
These old static definitions and the module parameter is being
scheduled for removal for 2.6.29. Note that if you use this
 you won't make use of a world regulatory domain as its pointless.
If you leave this option enabled and if CRDA is present and you
use US or JP we will try to ask CRDA to update us a regulatory
domain for us.

suggestions? should i disable it for next release? I don't use this roaming
stuff at all.
Thomas you could add your wireless stuff to testing too now.

greetings
tpowa
--
Tobias Powalowski