[arch-dev-public] testing cleanup

K. Piche kpiche at rogers.com
Thu Feb 7 22:56:00 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 20:26 +0100, Jan de Groot wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've cleaned up testing a bit:
> - moved xulrunner/seamonkey/firefox and friends to extra. This is part
> of the /usr move
> - moved gcc to core/extra, cleaned up gfortran and objc packages from
> extra
> - moved Xorg and friends from testing to extra (requested signoff, no
> response after request, no bugreports for 2 weeks).
> - removed duplicate and some old packages from testing
>
> At this moment we have some projects in testing:
> - perl update
> - postgresql update
> - kernel26 update
> - some core signoffs
>
> Please don't stuff new big projects in testing before we have the perl
> and postgresql migration done. We can wait a while before we start
> freaking out on GNUTLS 2.2 for example.

The perl and modules update is pretty much done except for some problem
modules and minor changes to the core package:

- perl-tk 804.027 won't build.  There is an "unauthorized" 804.028
( http://search.cpan.org/~srezic/Tk-804.028/ ) I might use this.

- mod_perl won't build.  Need to wait for next perl or mod_perl release

- zim segfaults when run.  There seems to be a bug in the perl<->C
interfacing in the Gtk2::* modules.  Interestingly running it under the
perl debugger works...

- make sure cpan/cpanplus installs do the right thing

- need to set up $PATH and create separate bin dirs for the three sets
of directories.  Something
like /usr/bin/core_perl, /usr/bin/vendor_perl, etc.
Or /usr/core/bin, /usr/bin/perl/core.  I'm interested in opinions.  This
is needed so three versions of Archive::Tar can be installed and there
are no file conflicts with /usr/bin/ptardiff.

K. Piche <kpiche at rogers.com>