[arch-dev-public] current e2fsprogs incompatible with grub

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sat Feb 9 10:50:15 EST 2008

Dan McGee schrieb:
>> I checked the patch into CVS. If it is okay, I can rebuild grub with
>> this patch and check it into testing. Opinions?
>
> This personally seems like the better fix to the issue, rather than
> blame the e2fsprogs developers for changing a default that has been
> supported by kernel filesystem drivers since 2.6.10.
>
> If we can get sufficient testing on this thing, I'd say go for it and
> revert any changing or patching you did to e2fsprogs, as grub being in
> a feature freeze is not their fault. To me that is like some
> out-of-tree driver telling Linus "No, you can't release a new kernel
> yet! We aren't ready!". That would really fly.

Adding the patch to grub is a good thing, however: Default inode size of
256 will result in:
- Incompatibility to older distributions
- Incompatibility to live CDs
- Incompatibility to grub versions not coming from Arch
- Incompatibility to filesystem drivers for other operating systems

I won't have this list of incompatibilities _by default_. If someone
feels he/she needs the bigger inodes, he/she can simply edit
mke2fs.conf, or use the -I option of mke2fs.