[arch-dev-public] current e2fsprogs incompatible with grub

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sat Feb 9 11:34:27 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 08:58 -0600, Dan McGee wrote:

> This personally seems like the better fix to the issue, rather than
> blame the e2fsprogs developers for changing a default that has been
> supported by kernel filesystem drivers since 2.6.10.
>
> If we can get sufficient testing on this thing, I'd say go for it and
> revert any changing or patching you did to e2fsprogs, as grub being in
> a feature freeze is not their fault. To me that is like some
> out-of-tree driver telling Linus "No, you can't release a new kernel
> yet! We aren't ready!". That would really fly.

Well, it took me an hour to find out that the inode size was an issue.
The manpage from mkfs.ext3 states that 128 bytes is the default, while
it has been changed to 256 bytes. Also note that this change is a
backwards incompatible change that breaks compatibility with any kernel,
tool or whatever thing is supposed to handle the ext3 filesystem. The
whole point of ext3 was that it was backwards compatible.