[arch-dev-public] [arch-commits] CVS update of extra/x11/xorg-server (PKGBUILD xorg-server.install)

Alexander Baldeck kth5 at archlinuxppc.org
Thu Feb 21 06:26:45 EST 2008

Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> 2008/2/21, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de>:
>> Am Mittwoch, 20. Februar 2008 20:50:56 schrieb Alexander Baldeck:
>>
>>> +  echo ":: ATTENTION!"
>>  > +  echo ":: Since xorg-server version 1.4.0.90-7 hal support has"
>>  > +  echo ":: been enabled. By default keyboard layouts and variants"
>>  > +  echo ":: will now be overridden by hal. Please modfiy"
>>  > +  echo "::"
>>  > +  echo "::     /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-xkeyboard.fdi"
>>

>> Do you have some additional information why this change was made? This sound
>>  quite confusing to me. Is there no way to keep xorg.conf controlling which
>>  keyboard layout is set?
>
> Yeah, defining layouts & variants somewhere deep in hal config tree is ugly.
> and I guess this may introduce more keyboard-related bugs :-/

This is why I pushed this to testing for now. Seems as if we're going to
have to wait for a better xorg.conf like implementation until a later
xorg-server release which shouldn't be too far away from now.

Anyway, I cannot yet confirm fully whether the keyboard behavior is not
influenced by xorg.conf as I don't use any other layout than US/pc105
which it defaults to. Looks like it detects the keyboard on my mac mini
perfectly fine though which is after all a little different from regular
pc keyboards. I'll recheck and keep you posted.

Cheers,

-G