[arch-dev-public] [arch-commits] CVS update of extra/x11/xorg-server (PKGBUILD xorg-server.install)

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 11:56:51 EST 2008

2008/2/21, Alexander Baldeck <kth5 at archlinuxppc.org>:
> Roman Kyrylych wrote:
>  > 2008/2/21, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de>:
>  >> Am Mittwoch, 20. Februar 2008 20:50:56 schrieb Alexander Baldeck:
>  >>
>  >>> +  echo ":: ATTENTION!"
>  >>  > +  echo ":: Since xorg-server version 1.4.0.90-7 hal support has"
>  >>  > +  echo ":: been enabled. By default keyboard layouts and variants"
>  >>  > +  echo ":: will now be overridden by hal. Please modfiy"
>  >>  > +  echo "::"
>  >>  > +  echo "::     /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-xkeyboard.fdi"
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> Do you have some additional information why this change was made? This sound
>  >>  quite confusing to me. Is there no way to keep xorg.conf controlling which
>  >>  keyboard layout is set?
>  >
>  > Yeah, defining layouts & variants somewhere deep in hal config tree is ugly.
>  > and I guess this may introduce more keyboard-related bugs :-/
>  >

> This is why I pushed this to testing for now. Seems as if we're going to
>  have to wait for a better xorg.conf like implementation until a later
>  xorg-server release which shouldn't be too far away from now.
>
>  Anyway, I cannot yet confirm fully whether the keyboard behavior is not
>  influenced by xorg.conf as I don't use any other layout than US/pc105
>  which it defaults to. Looks like it detects the keyboard on my mac mini
>  perfectly fine though which is after all a little different from regular
>  pc keyboards. I'll recheck and keep you posted.

I have the following configuration:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc104"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us,ua,ru"
        Option      "XkbVariant" ",winkeys,winkeys"
        Option      "XkbOptions"
"grp:ctrl_shift_toggle,eurosign:5,altwin:super_win,numpad:microsoft"
EndSection

It still works exactly as before in both GDM and Gnome.
So I guess xorg.conf overrides hal config, and not the reverse as
stated in .install.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)