[arch-dev-public] [arch-commits] CVS update of extra/x11/xorg-server (PKGBUILD xorg-server.install)

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Thu Feb 21 15:00:47 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 18:56 +0200, Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> I have the following configuration:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>         Driver      "kbd"
>         Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
>         Option      "XkbModel" "pc104"
>         Option      "XkbLayout" "us,ua,ru"
>         Option      "XkbVariant" ",winkeys,winkeys"
>         Option      "XkbOptions"
> "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle,eurosign:5,altwin:super_win,numpad:microsoft"
> EndSection
>
> It still works exactly as before in both GDM and Gnome.
> So I guess xorg.conf overrides hal config, and not the reverse as
> stated in .install.

I think hal is used to configure everything that wasn't configured from
xorg.conf. When you take your USB keyboard out and stuff it in your
laptop for example, it will get recognized by hal and configured by
Xorg, but as it's a new device without configuration, there's no
keyboard mapping done on the keyboard.
I don't think messing around with fdi files is the way to configure
Xorg, that's why you have xorg.conf.