[arch-dev-public] reimplementation of the new design

eliott eliott at cactuswax.net
Thu Jan 17 11:38:10 EST 2008

On 1/17/08, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2008 6:08 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> > I have modified the logo: I removed the hard to read TM (isn't this useless
> > anyway)
>
> The ™ symbol may be used when trademark rights are claimed in relation
> to a mark, but the mark has not been registered with the government
> trademarks office of a particular country or jurisdiction, while the
> (R) is used to indicate that the mark has been so registered. It is
> not mandatory to use either symbol, although the force of convention
> is such that the symbols are widely used around the world.
>    [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark
>
> Interpret that as you wish, but it seems a bit self-satisfying to me
> to remove the TM just because you think it looks better.

Further, by altering the official logos, you could technically be infringing.
That isn't to say that your changes aren't good, etc. But...they
should go through official channels, not just 'I did this on my site
over here and am going to use it'.

I could be completely off base here. I am not, nor do I want to be, a lawyer.