[arch-dev-public] reimplementation of the new design

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Thu Jan 17 11:45:51 EST 2008

Am Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2008 16:38:02 schrieb Dan McGee:
> > I have modified the logo: I removed the hard to read TM (isn't this
> > useless anyway)
>
> The ™ symbol may be used when trademark rights are claimed in relation
> to a mark, but the mark has not been registered with the government
> trademarks office of a particular country or jurisdiction, while the
> (R) is used to indicate that the mark has been so registered. It is
> not mandatory to use either symbol, although the force of convention
> is such that the symbols are widely used around the world.
>    [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark
>
> Interpret that as you wish, but it seems a bit self-satisfying to me
> to remove the TM just because you think it looks better.

Hold on! We are speaking about Germany and not the US. The trademark thing you
mentioned above is not valid for archlinux.de. Furthermore I will run into
trouble if I keep the TM. Some courts have decided that using TM in Germany
is not allowed when the mark is not registered. I know that this is different
in the US and the court knows it, too. :-) But their decision was based on
the fact that most people in Germany do not know about the difference between
TM and (R); afaik in Germany you can only register a mark at the patent
office or get some protection by using it in business.

Just fore reference:
http://www.internetworld.de/article/Preisgruppe1/03-10-18_Rechts_AK.pdf
http://www.typeforum.de/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=180&mode=thread&order=0

--