[arch-dev-public] Kernel framebuffer logo

Damir Perisa damir.perisa at solnet.ch
Fri Jan 25 04:06:35 EST 2008

hi Thayer,

Friday 25 January 2008, Thayer Williams wrote:
 | My method for making the kernel logo:
 |   1. Extract a png from the svg sources
 |   2. Resize and optimize the colour depth with GIMP/Fireworks
 |   3. Use pngtopnm (after patching our netpbm package)
 |   4. Use pnmtoplainpnm to finish it off

i use the following:

1 export png in inkscape
2 flatten image  (gimp)
3 gaussian blur ~=1/100 of image width = pixel (120px final wide pic has
  1.2 px gaussian blur - makes it easier to dither sharp edges later)
4 resize to 120x120 px
5 put in indexed colourspace, use FS dithering
6 export image to ppm respectively to pbm
7 build kernel to test it (i'm compiling right now)

 | I didn't realize there was so much passion behind the inclusion of
 | a framebuffer logo; it's on my screen for all of about 20 seconds.

humans can find passion behind anything - even breathing and sex.

 | I see a number of aesthetic problems with using such a logo, and
 | they are as follows:
 |
 |   1. Limited use of colour makes it less than ideal for 'fancy
 | graphics'

any good fancy graphics can be showed under limits if the technique used is optimal.
after all, a logo is made in black/white, grey and outline versions only because of
this reasons - to be able to simplify it and put it somewhere else as an element.

ascii art may even be considered also fancy:

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMo MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM M "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM M M MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM M M M MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM M M M ""MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM M M M M ""MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM M M M M M ""MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"o"o M M M M "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM "o"o M M "o"o MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM M "o"o M M M "o MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM o" M "o" M "o"o"o MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMoM M "o"o M M o"o "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM ""MMoo"o "o "o M "o" "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"o" M ""Mo"o" M "o M "o" "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"o "o "o" """o" M "o M o"o" MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"o "o "o "o" M "o "o "o M o" "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"o "o "o "o "o "o "o "o "o M "o MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"o "o "o "o "o "o "o "o "o " M o "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM  M  M  M o"o M M M "M M M Mo M o" MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM  M  "o M M M M M M M M M M M M M M "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM  M  M M M M M M M M M M M M M M M M M "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM" M M M M M M M M M M M M M M M M M M M M MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM M M M M M M M M MoMoMoM M M M M M M M M M MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM M M M M M M M M MoMMMMMMMMMoM M M M M M M M "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"o"o"o"o"o"o"o"o"oMMMMMMMMMMMMoM M M M M M M M "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM M M M M M M M M MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMoM M M M M M M M M"MMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMo"o"o"o"o"o"o"o"o"MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMoM M M M M M M M M"MMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMo M M M M M M M M MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM M M M M M M M M M"MMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMM M M M M M M M M M MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"o"o"o"o"o"o"oMoM M"MMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMM"o"o"o"o"o"o"o"o"o"o"MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"o"o"o"o"o"o"o""MMoMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMM"o"o"o"o"o"o"o"o"o"o"MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM M M M M M M "M M"MMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMM M M M M M M M M M M "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM M M M M M M M M M ""MMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM M M M M M M M M M MoMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMoMoM M M M M M M M"o"o"MMMMMMM
MMMMMM"o"o"o"o"o"o"o"oMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMoM M M M M M M M MMMMMM
MMMMM"o"o"o"o"o"oMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMoM M M M M M MMMMM
MMMM M M M MoMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMoMo"o"o"o"MMMM
MMM"o"o"oMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMoM M M MMM
MMo"oMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMoM "MM
MoMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMoM

 | 2. Users must customize their fb to be widescreen and
 | like someone else pointed out, 1680x1050 and other widescreen
 | resolutions are not supported even when customized.

users must customize their computer to enable fb anyway.
default arch is not using fb, so when they do so, they should do it right.

 |   3. The icon is fairly small and limiting in its scope

the icon is just a symbol, not a poster presentation in 32bit colourspace.
it stands for one cpu and is originally a penguin. we replace it for our
 logo because we like symbols to be arch-shaped.

viva la archisation! viva el arch!

- D

--
                  <º)))><