[arch-dev-public] What should we do with the wine package?

Daniel Isenmann daniel.isenmann at gmx.de
Sun Jul 6 04:49:47 EDT 2008

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 20:51:30 -0400
Eduardo Romero <k3nsai at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some users would think we should keep wine 1.0.x on extra since it is
> the stable version. Some users would disagree as many bugs will never
> be fixed in the stable 1.0.x tree and many features will not be added
> neither. I have suggestions:
>
> 1) wine 1.0.x in extra and wine-devel 1.1.0 and beyond which will
> provide and conflict with wine, as well in extra.
> 2) Latest wine version always in extra, as this is an evolutionary
> package, and people like to have the latest version of it.
> 3) wine 1.0.x in extra and wine-devel 1.1.0 and beyond in unstable.
>
> Please, add your suggestions, but I would like 1 or 2 to become the
> solution, I really don't like 3, since wine isn't unstable, just ever
> changing and adding features.

In my opinion, wine was and is always an development package. There
were never complains about the latest wine release in the past, why
should there be complains in the future about the latest wine package.
I would provide always the latest wine package in extra, no separation
between wine and wine-unstable.

+1 for #2

Daniel