[arch-dev-public] ncurses todo list?

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Jul 31 05:45:25 EDT 2008

Allan McRae wrote:
> Aaron Griffin wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Allan McRae
>> <allan.mcrae at qimr.edu.au> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Does anybody have a ncurses build list?  I am building ncurses with
>>> only the
>>> wide-character libraries which should hopefully clear up a few of
>>> the locale
>>> issues with applications using it (e.g. FS#4418, FS#6384, FS#9872).
>>> The
>>> current situation is sort of between doing this and not (we have
>>> only the
>>> wide character include files but both libraries).
>>>
>>> After some initial problems (don't install an ncurses without a real
>>> libncurses.so before fixing readline & bash!), I have this up and
>>> working
>>> and most of the needed core rebuilds done.  I'm thinking I will push
>>> it to a
>>> separate repo first so that I can get some testing of this by people
>>> with
>>> other locales before I push it to [testing].
>>>

>> Are you sure this actually fixes these issues? I suggested the same
>> thing a while back, but Roman pointed out something regarding Cyrillic
>> chars or something... I don't know the details, but it had to do with
>> the fact that not all locales are really UTF friendly.
>>

> So I see....  (http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/4418#comment14208).  Am
> I 100% percent sure? No.  But I am quite confident (say 97%). From
> what I have read wide-character libraries work with both multibyte and
> 8-bit locales, while normal libraries work only in 8-bit locales.
> Anyway, that niggling 3% is why I don't want to push it directly to
> testing....

So I am now running a fully ncursesw system here and I have no
problems.  I tested with a couple ISO-8859-n locales and all seems well.

Does anybody have a good test case for something that was broken with
the old ncurses?  Most of what I could find by searching in the bug
tracker appears to have been fixed by building against the ncursesw
libraries already.  I can dump a tarball containing the rebuilt core
packages (and probably screen and lynx) if people would like to test
these in a chroot.

Allan