[arch-dev-public] ncurses todo list?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 10:58:44 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 4:45 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Allan McRae wrote:
>>
>> Aaron Griffin wrote:

>>> Are you sure this actually fixes these issues? I suggested the same
>>> thing a while back, but Roman pointed out something regarding Cyrillic
>>> chars or something... I don't know the details, but it had to do with
>>> the fact that not all locales are really UTF friendly.
>>>

>> So I see....  (http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/4418#comment14208).  Am I
>> 100% percent sure? No.  But I am quite confident (say 97%). From what I have
>> read wide-character libraries work with both multibyte and 8-bit locales,
>> while normal libraries work only in 8-bit locales.  Anyway, that niggling 3%
>> is why I don't want to push it directly to testing....
>
> So I am now running a fully ncursesw system here and I have no problems.  I
> tested with a couple ISO-8859-n locales and all seems well.
>
> Does anybody have a good test case for something that was broken with the
> old ncurses?  Most of what I could find by searching in the bug tracker
> appears to have been fixed by building against the ncursesw libraries
> already.  I can dump a tarball containing the rebuilt core packages (and
> probably screen and lynx) if people would like to test these in a chroot.

Feel free to setup a repo in your public html. Like so (Allan, I know
you have a grasp on this. I'm just being concise for other people if
they ever want to do this):
mkdir -p ~/public_html/ncursesw/
cp *.pkg.tar.gz ~/public_html/ncursesw
cd ~/public_html/ncursesw
repo-add ncursesw.db.tar.gz *.pkg.tar.gz